About me


Back in 2017 I made the decision to complete my first Ironman. With a background in running and 1 marathon under my belt, I sought after the title of “Ironman”. I had no experience swimming, and I rode a BMX bike to get me to school. After 8 months of training, Mike Reilly announced me as an Ironman at Madison with a time of 11:38:36. My plan was to be a 1 and done, but I was hooked and completed my 2nd Ironman 5 weeks later. Fast forward 5 years and I crossed the finish line in Kona, Hawaii in 2022. Moving forward, my goal is to inspire and empower other athletes as I work towards my professional racing license.

Friday, May 7, 2021

Thank You!

    IM Tulsa is less than 3 weeks away! I started training for a Kona slot 3 years ago, and I am starting to feel the pressure as race day approaches. But, that’s not what this post is about. This is about everybody in my corner, everyone that has been backing me up. These last few weeks have overwhelmed me with gratitude from my friends and supporters.

My phone blew up while I was racing at Haines City a few weeks back. It took me nearly an hour to get back to everyone that was following along. There were also so many friends that actually read my race report, down to the detail of me throwing salt in my eye. I appreciate all of you, and I will think of everyone following along as I cross each timing mat.

          I also want to truly thank some close friends of mine. You brought me to tears earlier this week with your thoughtfulness, and that’s what led me to write this novel. This Tri-Trunk is one of the kindest gestures I have ever received. Not only will it make life easier packing/transporting my gear to races, it also takes a lot of stress out of the whole process. You already got me started with some stickers, and I plan on adding more and more until the trunk is covered. Each sticker will represent an event, team, sponsor, person, or memory. All these stickers will be memories that I take with me to every race, and they will serve as a reminder that I’m not doing this alone.


          I also borrowed a bike carrying case for my trip to Haines City. When I went to return it after the race, I was told to keep it as a gift for my hard work and effort. Triathlon is not cheap, and a bike case was something that has prevented me from traveling outside the Midwest. Plus, I am going to need for Kona someday! This couple also lent me a Kona finisher medal to hold onto until I have my own. I see it every single day, and it gives me constant motivation to put in the necessary work to earn one.

          Two of my amazing local sponsors are Quad Cities Marathon and J-Works Premier Pressure Washing Services.

I have been fortunate to develop a strong relationship with the local running community and have paced the marathon 3 times so far. The QC marathon has supported me with a new a pair of training shoes each year and they even let me snag a few boxes of nutrition. I love this community, and I’m so happy to have their support.

J Works is owned by a close friend and training partner who raced as a pro for several years. He loves giving back to the community and is so gracious to support me in working toward my goals of qualifying for Kona and eventually racing professionally.

Finally, my triathlon racing team: WATTIE INK. I was honored to join the Elite Team in 2020 when racing was almost non-existent. Despite the Vid, there has been overwhelming support from them virtually through our team page. I also had the chance to meet a few amazing teammates in person. One in particular… (who creeped on me via Strava) became my best friend and training partner. And he just so happened to move within 25 minutes of me within a year of that. Always pushing me to be better and making countless century rides fly by, I couldn’t have asked for a better buddy.


Alright, I think I’ve said enough. If you’ve made it this far, I am truly grateful for you hanging on and celebrating everyone in my corner with me. Someone once said it takes an army, and that’s no joke. ^This is proof enough =)

 

2 comments:

  1. Wow Matt, such an awesome ‘blog’ of thanks and appreciation to all your supporters! Your heartfelt sincerity is so apparent and it truly is an honor to support you on your journey to Kona. I’m so very proud of you it makes my eyes well-up. Your determination, hard hard training ethics, the love and support from your fans is sure to help you achieve your goal👍 God’s speed to you with the bestest of all wishes to you!! Go Matt Go!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You and your teammate make us proud! Following you is an adventure and very inspiring. We are always here for you and will help in any way we can. Keep pushing hard bro. Much respect

    ReplyDelete