About me


Back in 2017 I made the decision to complete my first Ironman. With a background in running and 1 marathon under my belt, I sought after the title of “Ironman”. I had no experience swimming, and I rode a BMX bike to get me to school. After 8 months of training, Mike Reilly announced me as an Ironman at Madison with a time of 11:38:36. My plan was to be a 1 and done, but I was hooked and completed my 2nd Ironman 5 weeks later. Fast forward 5 years and I crossed the finish line in Kona, Hawaii in 2022. Moving forward, my goal is to inspire and empower other athletes as I work towards my professional racing license.

Tuesday, August 20, 2024

Lou 70.3 Race Report

Anyone that followed my Ironman Louisville 70.3 race knows I served a 5-minute drafting penalty, so let’s get it out of the way first. Yes, I was too close. Yes, Once I entered the draft zone I should have completed the pass so  it was deserved. I apologize to my competitors and accept it. I’ll go into some specifics on this during the bike portion.

By the numbers, this was certainly my best 70.3. I came out of the water the highest up in the overall, pushed my biggest power by almost 20W on the bike, and had the fastest overall run by just over 90s. Let’s get into it.

Pre-Race: This was such a fun weekend for me. I drove  down to Louisville on Friday with my buddy Drobs. He did all of the driving so I could just chill and catch up on work. We checked in later that evening, set-up most of our gear, and consumed $33 of Taco Bell for pre-race cleansing. We went to bed early with a plan of running in the dark and then biking as soon as it was light enough. Saturday was perfect. We knocked out our shakeouts, showered and ate a massive breakfast. After that, we just kicked back in the room with the AC turned down while I watched course previews and got some more work done. Around 4pm we dropped the bikes off and grabbed a sub sandwich for dinner. We ate in the room and watched Mad Max and The Incredibles until lights out at 8pm.

Race Morning: I was up around 4:15 after a typical restless night, but actually felt quite good.

Ate some PB, bread and a banana for breakfast before suiting up and heading to transition. A very short walk; we were there in about 5 minutes. It took me longer than normal to set my bike up, but once I was happy with it, we started our walk to swim start around 5:30. My conversation with Matt consisted of wondering why the heck we get so nervous before these races. The anticipation hit me much harder than normal, so it was nice to have a buddy to keep me grounded. One new thing was slamming a Redbull before the start, and I think it will become part of my routine. We got up nice and close to the front, and I had an awesome starting position.

Swim (28:04 - 18th OA): What made this race especially fun was a new friend and rival, John. We are essentially identical athletes across all 3 disciplines and agreed to start as close together as possible for a battle. We were about 6-7 rows deep to be up close but not get swam over. Once I ran in, it was game on. I felt very good on the swim and found my own space early on. I didn’t feel much of a current helping, and the wind was blowing up river causing a little chop to swim into. The water was 82 degrees F and I could feel myself heating up. I felt like I did a fairly good job sighting and didn’t need to navigate around too many people. The only tough part of the swim were some “swells” that formed under 2 of the bridges. I swallowed some water and told myself I should probably avoid any more of that nasty river water. I came out in what felt like a good position, but I never checked my time as I was focused on a strong T1. Looking back, this was one of my strongest swims.

 

T1 (3:18): Not my best, running to the wrong side of my bike, but it only cost about 10s to jog back around. With the non wetsuit swim, I couldn’t swim with calf sleeves and they’d be too difficult to slip on. I opted to test out my brand new aero socks for the first time (they arrived Thursday). I knew they’d be hard to get on, but I did practice a few times with wet feet/legs. Since I need socks anyway for the run, I was willing to take just a little more time to get these tighter ones on before the bike. My bike mount was pretty much perfect and I slipped into my cycling shoes straight away.

 

Thank you Devon for this gem!

Bike (2:19:58 - 16th OA): I was feeling really good starting the bike and had to back down to my race watts. I was told 1st in my AG with 2nd literally right behind me. Sure enough John came around me 2-3 miles in and off we went. We traded lead a few times and I was right at the top of my prescribed power numbers. Around mile 10 I noticed someone sitting a little close and threw in a hard surge to try dropping him. John noticed the same thing and surged by me once I let up. Around mile 15 we were coming up a roller and that’s when I got too close (within 4 bike lengths). In that moment, I should have completed the pass. For me, I was already pushing my limit and we were only going about 10 mph. I opted to let myself drop back and that’s when I got my blue card. This was frustrating to me since only I got a penalty when there was other drafting going on. I burned a match to try and get away, but got burned myself. That’s racing and I fully accept the result.

With that, I came by John and let him know about the penalty in case that altered his race strategy at all. I wasn’t sure if there was a penalty tent in the middle of the course, but figured I might as well go above planned power until I got a 5 minute rest. There was a tent at 30 miles, so that’s where I stopped. As soon as I got there I told them my number and there was a long long pause before being asked what color card I got. After stating blue, he THEN started the stopwatch…. That was at least 10 more seconds than necessary. As I was standing there moving nutrition around, John came by and eventually 8-9 other athletes before I could leave. Once I got the go ahead, I hammered the back half. In my mind, John was my main competitor and I believed I had a chance to pull 2 minutes back on the bike, and would need to run out of my mind to close the remaining 3. I had a choice to bag the race and focus on IMWI or see if I could make some lemonade. I chose to fully commit and go for it. Even though I could push a little harder with the rest, between stopping, the 5 minutes and starting again, I’m confident my mistake ended up being a full 5 minute loss. Without it, I’d have had the 3rd fastest bike split (for me, that’s a good indicator for where my bike is currently at. The Kú is fast). Moving on. I dropped from 4th to 15th, but it felt damn good to repass 6 of those guys before T2.

T2 (2:29): This was one of the fastest T2s on the day. Despite my shoes catching the ground every few steps, I did my best to keep my bike in control. It was rough, but I got it done quickly. Racked the bike and all I needed to do was remove my helmet and slip my shoes on. Nice and smooth, grabbed the hat and I was out.

Technically a run course record?

Run (1:19:37 - 1st OA): The information I got from my friend Katie was going to determine how I ran. I pushed the first half mile until I saw her and was told 3 minutes back from John. As soon as I heard 3 and his first split was 6:15 pace, I told her I’m going for it. Assuming the tracker was accurate on pace, I needed to run 6 flat without him speeding up. Sure enough I clocked 6:01, 6:00, 6:00 and 5:58. By mile 4 mile my HR was hitting 170 bpm and I usually don’t like crossing that until halfway through the run. The middle of the run was tough with some good hills and lots of turns. I had no ability to see down the road and there were no out and backs to check splits. I was in no man’s land without anyone I could see. I kept pressing and tried to get a split from random spectators but no luck. The aid stations were incredible and I got everything I wanted each time. One lady even told me to hold out my hat so she could fill it with ice, pro move. Quick side note, I netted 5 Maurten gels by the end. Around mile 11 there was a long straight downhill where I finally caught a glimpse of 4th. A rough estimate of 90s was all I had to go off of. I sort of lost hope, but that’s when we got back to transition with the crowds. I leaned in even more and held my HR over 175. The final mile uphill ended up being my fastest at 5:50. Normally running under 1:20 isn’t anything to brag about, but I’m pretty stoked based on how everyone else fared. I was the fastest runner by a little over 90s. 

Finish (4:13:24 - 5th OA): I’ve never regretted leaving everything I had on the course. Today was no different, and I walked away not feeling 100% dejected. I chatted with John after and apologized for drafting and ruining our battle. Thankfully, he’s a good dude and my apology was accepted. 

Chasing the same dream

This was a race where I felt good the entire time. Leaning into it felt good, like I had a smirk on my face the whole time. Going in I felt heavy, but the power was there on the bike and cadence was solid on the run. I will continue to question Coach Brent’s crazy methods (like 8 min/mile easy runs), and always be amazed that he was right all along. He knows it. I know it. And I wouldn’t have it any other way.

Up next, Ironman Wisconsin to defend a title. The field is stacked, so get ready for some fireworks. 

No comments:

Post a Comment