About me


Back in 2017 I made the decision to complete my first Ironman. With a background in running and 1 marathon under my belt, I sought after the title of “Ironman”. I had no experience swimming, and I rode a BMX bike to get me to school. After 8 months of training, Mike Reilly announced me as an Ironman at Madison with a time of 11:38:36. My plan was to be a 1 and done, but I was hooked and completed my 2nd Ironman 5 weeks later. Fast forward 5 years and I crossed the finish line in Kona, Hawaii in 2022. Moving forward, my goal is to inspire and empower other athletes as I work towards my professional racing license.

Monday, October 21, 2019

Bike “Mishap” Explained


My race season is officially over, and I’ve has some time to reflect on the year. Going into Ironman Louisville, I was prepared to do nothing for 2 weeks. But with how poorly I raced, I haven’t been able to sit still and have been busy investigating my bike mishap. In my previous post I tried to blame a mechanical issue on the bike for slowing me down.
Actually stopped to remind myself I should be recovering. Soaking in the views

I took my bike to a local shop, and they didn’t find anything causing friction. This means my power meter was reading high, and my legs were not fully recovered (it felt like I could’ve been pushing that hard). I took my race setup for a ride last week to see what the power would be reading.
Prior to Race: 200 watts ~ 20.5-21.0mph
Race: 230 watts = 20mph
Post Race: 252 watts = 20.5mph

This tells me that the power meter is reading ~40 watts higher than it should be. I know weather plays a large factor in all of this, but I was consistently averaging over 20mph at 200 watts. I plan on recalibrating the Vector 3 pedal this week and making sure my crank arm length wasn’t changed (that’d be an easy fix!).

Alright, rant over. This week I am hoping to catch up with friends and do some housework instead of training all week. I can tell my body needs some time to fully recover, but it is hard knowing that I need to make even more improvements if I plan on getting to Kona.
Oh yeah, and I’m playing around with idea of Ironman Tulsa May 31st for my next attempt =O We’ll see if 6 months will be enough time to train!

No comments:

Post a Comment