About me


Back in 2017 I made the decision to complete my first Ironman. With a background in running and 1 marathon under my belt, I sought after the title of “Ironman”. I had no experience swimming, and I rode a BMX bike to get me to school. After 8 months of training, Mike Reilly announced me as an Ironman at Madison with a time of 11:38:36. My plan was to be a 1 and done, but I was hooked and completed my 2nd Ironman 5 weeks later. Fast forward 5 years and I crossed the finish line in Kona, Hawaii in 2022. Moving forward, my goal is to inspire and empower other athletes as I work towards my professional racing license.

Thursday, October 1, 2020

USAT Rankings

    It’s been a while since my last post, and I just came across something I found worth sharing. This year has been crazy, and the triathlon world has certainly been impacted. With that being said, many races are now starting back up, so I know this won’t last long. But! As of today, I am ranked #1 in the US in the 25-29 age group! I will forever save this screenshot showing that part way through the season, I was on top.

    Little disclaimer here, USAT dropped the requirements to only include 2 races this year instead of 3. So right now, 2 of my 3 are being counted. I am hoping that my 3rd race will actually boost my score even more when they add it. But once more races are added for other athletes, the rankings will shift. Regardless, it’s been fun stalking the results to see where I stack up. Moving forward, I still have a lot to accomplish, and I refuse to let cockiness get the better of me in my preparations.

    So what’s next? I’m so glad you asked! Right now, I am focused on maintaining my fitness and keeping my body ready for a high volume block of training after Thanksgiving. Until then, I will: keep all of my runs in Zone 2 (25 mi/week max), limit myself to 1 killer bike workout/week, have a heavy focus on strength training, and swim a ton of yards. For me, a “ton of yards” is hitting 15,000 a week instead of 10,000… Would love to hear how many yards you all swim each week anddd any advice on breaking that 1 hr barrier =) Also, my watch switches from yards to miles after 5,000.

Wasn't sure how many yards I was ending with

    Another piece of exciting news (more exciting than my well timed USAT ranking) is that my dad ran his first marathon! He has put in so much work to get to this point, and I could not be prouder. (I had to Google proud vs. more proud if you were wondering that too). From his first 5k to a freaking marathon, my dad has come an incredibly long way. After tackling these numerous sub goals, he is now ready to take on an Ironman. For me, I am even more driven to take a Kona slot at Ironman Tulsa. If I can get it done this Spring, I can give dad my full support at Madison instead of trying to qualify again. Regardless, 2021 will be an exciting year for my family!

Dad's first marathon complete!

            That’s all for now. Never hesitate to hit me up with questions or if you just want to chat.

Matt

1 comment:

  1. You.Inspire.Me.

    What a privilege to be your dad. What a joy it’s been to train with you. My biggest accomplishments – you have been there. From my first sprint to our home made Half Ironman to the do it yourself Marathon, the fact that you have been there for every moment and every step means the world to me. So yes please, punch your ticket to Kona at Tulsa so we can tackle Ironman Madison side by side. I want you to be the person that welcomes me to the Ironman club, to put the finisher’s medal around my neck and to hug you at the end and say thank you like I have for every race so far. We’ve logged many miles together and I look forward to many many more as we each chase our dreams. And I’ll be there at Tulsa and at Kona to congratulate you at the finish!

    ReplyDelete